Aning J, Gillatt D. When should patients with varicocoele be referred? Practitioner 2012; 256 (1750):17-20

When should patients with varicocoele be referred?

24 Apr 2012Pais-up subscribers

Varicocoele is present in 15% of men. Patients suspected of having underlying malignant pathology or with significant discomfort from a large varicocoele should be referred for specialist review. The data regarding the relationship between the condition and infertility is inconclusive. NICE does not recommend surgical treatment of varicocoele for infertility. Patients or couples with infertility should be referred to a urologist with a specialist interest in fertility and an expert in assisted reproduction techniques, ideally to be seen in a joint clinic.

Paid-up subscribersThis article can be accessed only if you are a paid-up subscriber to The Practitioner.

To view current online and print subscription rates, and to contact the subscription department, click Subscribe today .

To buy this article (£25+tax) copy the article citation above and click Buy article